Homeowners Embrace Custom Window Treatments with Technology
What is Trending for Custom Window Treatments?
After a year spent mostly at home, many homeowners made the decision to improve their interiors where they’re spending so much time. In terms of custom window treatments, here are a few trends that have emerged for this year.
- Smart-Home Technology: Motorized window treatments that can be controlled with a smartphone app.
- Multifunctional Use: Opt for custom window treatments that have both light-filtering capabilities for the daytime and room-darkening qualities for nighttime, or choose a top-down/bottom-up operating system.
- Bring Nature In: Choose shades made from natural woods, reeds, bamboo and grasses for a natural look.
- Eco-Friendly Materials: Custom window treatments made from recycled and repurposed materials.
- Softer Colors: Colors that soothe are especially popular.
What are the Most Energy-Efficient Window Treatments?
The advantage to energy-efficient window treatments is they keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, causing the cost of your energy bill to decrease. Here are a few recommendations:
- Cellular shades or Honeycomb shades: Its design includes a series of honeycomb-like cell pockets that trap air around your windows keeping your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- Drapes: These are energy efficient and available in multiple colors, patterns, and fabrics.
- Custom Interior Shutters: Interior shutters have slanted louvers or slats to let in as much sunlight as you want. Made from real wood, vinyl, or wood composite, materials that insulate the room and reduce energy costs when closed.
- Combination Window Coverings: Combining more than one window treatment can maximize your energy efficiency. For example, adding drapes to inside-mounted motorized blinds or shades.
What are the Benefits of Motorized Blinds and Shades?
Motorized blinds and shades offer many benefits. Here is our top 10 list for investing in this type of custom window treatment:
- Technology Integration: Motorized blinds can be controlled from your smartphone and can be integrated with existing smart home systems.
- Energy Efficiency: Offers better insulation and light control which saves you money
- Convenient: You can raise and lower your blinds with the touch of a button.
- Best for Large Windows: Easier than manually opening and closing shades
- Best for Hard to Reach Windows: Motorized blinds and shades are a much better option for windows that are very high or otherwise hard to access.
- Safety: Cordless which is safer for young children and pets
- Better Sleep: They will keep the room dark while you sleep. You can even have your blinds scheduled to open gradually in the morning for a relaxing way to wake up.
- Protects Furniture: Controlling the amount of sunlight entering the room will help prevent fading.
- Deters Potential Thieves: Gives the appearance that you are home even if you’re away.
- Adds Value to your Home: Motorized blinds and shades are gaining popularity and are a selling feature.
What are the Best-Motorized Blinds and Shades?
There are so many choices for motorized blinds and shades, so you will have to decide what works best for your home. Below we outline some of the choices when it comes to motorized window treatments.
Two main varieties
- Motorized lift for shades
- Motorized tilt for wooden blinds, aluminum blinds, and Venetian blinds
Choices for Power Source
- Solar-powered: The most eco-friendly choice and best for windows in direct sunlight
- Battery Powered: Battery is easily hidden along the window frame or behind window treatment
- Hard-wired: Requires an outlet nearby or pre-run wiring, but more reliable than batteries
- Remote: Single channel remote is a great option for a single window or small group of windows. A five-channel remote works well for groups of multiple windows. The remote moves blinds or shades in groups or individually.
- Wall Switch: Cordless radio frequency wall switches mount anywhere on your wall. You can choose from a single channel switch or a five-channel switch. They work well for larger rooms like a media room or living room. •
- Programmable timer: Can be programmed to open and close your blinds or shades each day.
- Smartphone App: Most shading systems now have an app available so you can control your shades from your phone or tablet.
Our design team at Innuwindow can help you choose the best-motorized blinds and shades for your home.
Are Motorized Blinds and Shades Worth it?
Motorized window treatments are a great investment because it saves money on your energy bill, adds value to your home, and has a convenience factor because of the technology integration. They are a great way to update your window treatments while letting you control how much sunlight you want in a given space and tailoring it exactly to your needs. With people spending more time at home, motorized shades provide the ideal amount of natural light while keeping your home at the right temperature in all seasons.
Where Can I Find Custom Window Treatments for My Home Near Boston?
Innuwindow has earned a reputation as Boston’s leading window treatment provider. We are a family-run business and multi-year winner of Angie’s List Super Service Award. Our professional and creative staff has thirty years of experience and we will help you choose the perfect motorized window treatments for your home. We are proud to provide top name brands including Hunter Douglas, Norman, Lutron, Somfy, and many more. Contact Innuwindow today for a free consultation and our staff will provide you with expert advice, quality products, excellent customer service, and great pricing.