Home Decor New Year’s Resolutions You Should Make
Home is the center to which we return each day. Therefore, it should be a space in which you feel comfortable and at peace. Whether the space you call home is a house, apartment, rented or owned, you deserve a relaxing environment that reflects your personality and fulfills your needs. If your space needs some help becoming what you envision or it needs a style reboot, New Year’s resolutions offer the perfect opportunity to make improvements.
If you’re looking for a little interior design motivation, here’s our top suggestions for New Year’s home decor resolutions you should make in 2018:
- Add a Splash of Color- Taking a risk by adding a splash of bold color to your home is a simple and exciting way to revamp and make an impact on your decor. While muted and monochromatic color schemes were a design trend in 2017, try and shake things up a little. Painting is an easy design change but is more of a commitment. Start small by adding pockets of color using accent pillows, throw blankets or wall art.
- Go for Quality over Quantity- Just because a home or a room is full of unique decor and furniture doesn’t necessarily mean it’s well-designed. An important part of creating a well-designed and aesthetically pleasing space is choosing quality home furnishings that offer a long functional and stylistic lifeline. This may require you to take some time to conduct research based on reviews and shopping around in order to find the perfect pieces.
- Less is Always More- De-cluttering is an instant way of making space for beauty and a zen mentality. In the course of one year, you can unknowingly accumulate a ton of unnecessary and unwanted things. Get rid of items that are taking up space and create smart storage solutions for the clutter. If you’re looking to go a step further, incorporate minimalist design styles by creating visual tranquility and embracing openness.
- Revamp Your Guest Room- Guest rooms tend to be the most neglected room in the house. However, they’re the one that leaves the biggest impression on your guests. In 2018, make it a priority to update your guest room. Choose a new color scheme, update the bedding with some fresh linens and a duvet and incorporate new window treatments into the decor to add life.
- Make Décor Purchases Based on Specific Needs- After spending time decluttering your home, the last thing you should do is bring in new furnishings to fill it up again. In 2018, shift your shopping habits by making more mindful purchases. When you find yourself contemplating a purchase, take a moment to ask yourself if the item is something you really need. If it’s a decor item rather than a functional need, make sure you know exactly where you’ll put it before you bring it into your home.
- It’s easy to get caught up in what you don’t have- a bigger kitchen, hardwood floors, a deck, larger windows, etc.- and we quickly forget to enjoy the good things we do have. Remember, no home may ever be perfect but what matters most are the memories you create inside them.